The Historic Lewes Farmers Market in Delaware made their market a “Living Lab” to answer two questions:
- What can we do to increase sales and attendance at our market?
- What can we do to increase sales and attendance of SNAP customers at our market?
A few highlights from their findings include:
- Adding a photo to the outside of a cooler or freezer from which the farmer/producer sells products such as arugula or frozen meat, increased sales of those products by approximately 30%.
- Having a farmer/producer present at a “Meet the Farmer” demonstration session at the market, increased sales of the farmer an average of 41% the week following the session.
- A set of outreach activities led to year over year growth of 57% in new SNAP customers and growth in SNAP dollars issued of 31%.
- “Market Pairing” demonstrations, boosted sales of products featured in the demonstration by an average of 20%.