Virginia Fresh Match: A Statewide Network to Help Farmers Markets Serve Low-Income Shoppers
Nutrition Incentives: Making Healthful Foods Affordable
“Nutrition incentives” are matching funds that help low-income shoppers buy produce. Currently in the form of tokens, incentives match the value of SNAP (food stamps) when spent at farmers markets. Because when low-income customers can afford produce, they buy it. That benefits them, the local economy, the environment and public health.
How can you get involved?
- Sign up for the Virginia Fresh Match Listserv to stay informed. Email email@example.com.
- Visit the Virginia Fresh Match website: http://www.vfm.leapforlocalfood.org/
- Become a strategic, communications or funding partner.
- Help fund or support a position to lead continued development for Virginia Fresh Match.
- Connect Virginia Fresh Match to food access programs in your community.
- Advocate for Virginia policy to support a statewide fund or endowment for nutrition incentives.