What: Close out Virginia Pollinator Week at the farmers market on Governor St. The Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS) will feature a host of giveaways, informational materials, activities and the Pollinator Week Corn Hole Tournament.
Put together a 4-person team from your paper, website or station and choose if you want to be a Bee Team or a Butterfly Team. Teams can register by emailing Elaine Lidholm, or just play some pick-up games. VDACS will announce the high scoring team at 12:45. Prize to be determined, but stay tuned.
Other activities include:
- Drawing for a give-away of Rooftop Beekeeping with its honey cookbook
- Observe a hive and taste different honey at one of our vendors
- Seed packet give-away for a pollinator garden (first 100 guests) and a bear jar of honey from the First Lady of Virginia’s hive (while supplies last)
- Selfie station: get your accessories to be a butterfly, bee, ant or bat and take a selfie, or a VDACS staff member can take a group photo
- Learn how to plant a garden to attract pollinators
- Interview a VDACS employee about the recently-announced Beehive Distribution Program
- Have lunch while here from one of the many vendors selling prepared foods and remember: one out of every three bites you take is made possible by a pollinator
When: Friday, June 21, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Where: Gravel lot just across Governor St. from the Executive Mansion