About the Program
Through the SFMNP, older adults are eligible to receive 10 vouchers ($5 each), totaling $50 worth of farmers market vouchers to purchase fresh fruits, vegetables, and fresh cut herbs from approved vendors if the following statements are true:
- They are 60 years of age or older.
- They are a resident of a locality that participates in the program.
- They do not live in the same household and they are not an immediate family member of the farmer who grows the produce.
- They meet the program’s income requirements. They must certify their household income.
Farmers will apply to be authorized to accept S/FMNP checks. If you are approved, you will enter into a Farmer Agreement signed by DARS-OAS. The Agreement authorizes you as a Farmer to accept the S/FMNP checks. The Agricultural Partner’s local representative in your area will work with you in this program and will review your application.
- Application is active for two years
- Farmers can only sell produce they grow themselves (no purchased/traded or auction produce)
- Agriculture partners contact the farmers to verify “locally-grown” criteria
Completed applications and agreements returned to DARS by April 20, 2023, will be processed in time for the June 1, 2023, start date. Applications and agreements received later will be accumulated, reviewed, and processed at the beginning of the next calendar month. No applications will be accepted after July 15, 2023.
Your application will be reviewed and the information you provide will be verified. It is possible that our Agricultural Partners will conduct a farm visit to ensure that the produce you list for sale on your application is in fact being planted and harvested. The on-farm visit is also a good time for training or for you to get questions answered face-to-face. This year, there will also be an opportunity to participate in a virtual training for new farmers.
If authorized, you will be mailed a copy of the fully signed Agreement, your 2023 sign, ID stamp if needed, and ink refill if needed. You are not allowed to accept any S/FMNP checks until you receive your authorization Agreement, sign, and the other materials or prior to the start-up of the program on June 1, 2023.
Applications, agreements, and a cover letter with more details are linked below.
Please help us expand this program to the farmers at your market.
Role of Market Managers:
- Recruit farmers at your markets
- Pass out applications
- Encourage participation
- Know the policies to support your farmers and shoppers
- Reduce confusion about the program
Funding for this publication was made possible by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Agricultural Marketing Service through grant 21FMPPVA1084. Its contents are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of the USDA.