See the full flyer for all of the details
Wireless POS Device for Farmers Markets
Increasing SNAP redemptions at Farmers Markets will provide SNAP participants greater access to fresh and healthy food, while supporting American farmers and local economies.
The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) can provide to eligible farmers markets/direct marketing farmers:
- One Wireless POS
- No Fees Incurred that are associated with SNAP Only transactions
The device provided by VDSS may also be used for debit and credit transactions but, VDSS will not pay fees associated with debit and credit transactions. You will be billed directly by the vendor for all debit/credit related fees.
The application process:
- Farmers Market (FM)/Direct Marketing Farmer (DMF) applies for authorization to accept SNAP at https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/farmer-producer.
- FM/DMF receives approval, FNS number
- FM/DMF contacts VDSS at email@example.com to request POS device and provides the following information:
- Farmers Market Name:
- Farmers Market Contact:
- Farmers Market Phone:
- Farmers Market Email:
- FNS #:
- VDSS forwards the information to our EBT vendor
- EBT vendor contacts the FM/DMF to arrange delivery of the wireless device to FM/DMF and instructions on use
Replacement POS Device Process
- FM/DMF requests replacement of POS no longer under warranty and provides VDSS with same information needed when requesting new POS device
- VDSS confirms FM/DMF still authorized to accept SNAP
- VDSS confirms with vendor that 3 year warranty has expired, if appropriate
- VDSS forwards information to EBT vendor for new device
For further information, contact: Khristy Horne, (804)546-1845, Khristy.Horne@dss.virginia.gov.
You can use this link to become authorized to accept SNAP. You must apply and be approved by FNS prior to accepting SNAP/EBT benefits.
firstname.lastname@example.org – You can use this email to send your questions and concerns regarding your application to FNS or requesting new or replacement equipment.
SNAP Participant Reports
Additional Information from DSS:
- Questions about receiving SNAP as payment would go to FNS. All retailer information that we have is listed at: https://www.dss.virginia.gov/benefit/ebt_card/retailer_information.cgi.
- If their EBT equipment is at end of life they may be eligible for replacement. They should contact us (EBT) and include the information received (they get an email) along with their FNS number.
- New Markets should be in contact with SNAP ED Agent for assistance getting set up. If they don’t know who that person is here is the link: https://ext.vt.edu/food-health/family-nutrition-program/outreach-instructors-map.html.
- The company that they would buy tokens from is Old Tyme Wooden Nickel Company. They should be talking to their SNAP ED agent for assistance with tokens. (Per Fresh Market Groups Tokens are expensive, they recommend coupons).